Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Wimpiest Hero

Donated platelets today ~ first time ever. It took an hour-and-a-half, but I got to sit in a comfy chair and watch a mediocre chick flick. I picked The Time Traveler's Wife and I'm not sure I could have followed it if I hadn't read the book, but having read the book, I kept looking for missing scenes and characters, etc. It was a pleasant movie, but read the book, it's better.

Anyway, platelets ~ so they stick needle in, just like a regular blood donation, only this time they suck out your blood, spin it around, pull some plasma and all the platelets they can get, and return the rest. Ninety minutes and they got what looked to be thirty cc's of sweetened condensed milk. Apparently, that's a good amount. The various people who need platelets include bone marrow transplant (BMT) patients. Now, my regular job involves making drugs for BMT patients, so the opportunity to do even more for my patients, while sitting on my ass, is extra cool.  I gave my platelets, watched a movie, got my cookie ~ Memorial Blood Center gets the best chocolate cookies ~ and went on my merry way.

While I was driving home, all smug cause I'm some kind of hero, saving lives and all that, I realized that I'm about the wimpiest hero ever. In an actual crisis, I'd be doing good to remember to call 911. Seriously, the pain in the butt in the movies who stands around crying, "Oh God. Oh no." until you want to reach through the screen and throttle her, that's me. Heroes are cops and firemen. A hero is the guy who sees a couple fighting and steps in to pull the dude off his girlfriend. An EMT who braves the scariest of ghettoes to get to his patient is a real hero. Heroes risk something more than the possibility that the chocolate cookies will be gone by the time they're done lounging in their comfy chair.

Next time you see a hero, say thanks. In the meantime, go earn a cooky so I won't have to be the only wimpy hero-lite.

Genealogy tip of the day: When looking at census forms, check institutions in the area ~ some relatives end up in state hospitals, some in prisons. Don't be disappointed if you find them, a black sheep (or a polka-dotted one) livens up the family story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. You can even let you stay anonymous.